Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me how a person with Panic Disorder might go about job hunting.?

I'm a 33 year old out of work female singer who happens to have Social Anxiety/Panic Disorder/Depression. I have been unmedicated and without therapy for almost 4 years now due to having no medical insurance offered to me in the music business. Now, my symptoms have worsened and I have nothing left. I quit my job as a road musician and moved in with my boyfriend of one year. Since then I have been unemployed, severly depressed, physically ill, and suffering from extreme panic attacks. How does someone like me go about getting help. I'm a new resident to the state of Georgia and do not have a penny to my name. My boyfriend, who I live with here does not support me in my depression and anxiety. He believes that I am just lazy....that really hurts the most. I do have good transportation but no idea how to gain the courage to leave the house and attempt talking to people. I become very afraid and even become physically ill upon approaching strangers. I am lost. Please helpCan anyone tell me how a person with Panic Disorder might go about job hunting.?
Well if you need a job - Its just something that you're going to eventually have to do.


However, your Panic attacks can be treated with an anti-depressants.. but for quick relief, you would need a benzodiazepine. Xanax is one, and it works well for episodes of panic attacks. It sounds like that should work out for you.


Talk to your doctor and mention this... It'll be worth trying.Can anyone tell me how a person with Panic Disorder might go about job hunting.?
Well I have Bulimia,Panic Disorder and Animia so I think it's best to do counseling first before you go job hunting because you can have a serious panic attack if you just go and do not have any support or you can go job hunting with open eyes and earsand be strong and show your disorder that it can't control you.I'm only 13 and I have this I haven't quite control any of my didsorders yet but I know those are ways of going about it.:)If you wanna talk heres my e-mail(greigg11@yahoo.com).
I have PTSD. So, I sort of know how you feel. Just hang in there.


Apply for social security benefits. They will ask for medical records. Because you do not possess any, they will probably send you for an evaluation.
This guy cured my depression with his book ';The Feeling Good Handbook';:


http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det鈥?/a>





Today, I noticed he also has a brand new book covering panic disorder. http://www.feelinggood.com/press%20relea鈥?/a>





Get them both. It will cost your boyfriend less than $50.00 for them and it will save your life from the misery I know all too well.
I'm afraid I can't answer that question! Ha! Just kidding! I've learned a long time ago to accept my mental illnesses. One way is to make fun of myself. Sounds ';crazy'; doesn't it? My dear friend, any hospital should be able to treat you even without any insurance. Please, for your own mental and physical well being, try going to a hospital or even a local clinic!!!
go to your local social services department or call and see what you need to bring to sign up for medicaid and also ask about free mental health. there are other things they can supplie you with to like food stamps money untill you are able to get a job. If your on your meds you wont panic and you will get the job! Good luck and God Bless
Take it a step at a time. Most of the anxiety that you're feeling is from repeating negative thoughts. If talking to people frightens you start by say Hi and how are you? Slowly build up your confidence. You sound intelligent, don't let your negative thoughts control your mind. All the best to you. I know it's hell but have faith.
You have made your mind an enemy Your mind will make mistakes ,Your mind will be illusion ed. Your mind will cheat and be cheated Your mind will ultimately you will forget and between all that your mind assumes all day long.Try to Calm the mind and your senses Just by good simple foods Keeping clean by washing daily and being stress free this and this way alone will make your mind your friend Please note be at peace with yourself and all about you will be Calm .Remember this ASK the powers that be for your ten fold in return with respect and Love and abundance Will flow to you do not ask were it comes and have no ';Doubt' to when, where ,who, or how, it comes and when it coms. In health ,or wealth, and wisdom ,it will come to you then give thanks to all that be in and with respect to the powers that be thank you .use it in good health and wealth ';Peace '; And to recieve you must GIVE to ASK
In Maryland, there are mental health clinics, usually available through the department of health. Look in the government section of your yellow pages. Find them. They usually charge according to your ability to pay (ie. no paycheck, no payment). You need help. I am sorry that your boyfriend doesn't understand, but don't let that stop you from getting the help you need. They may be able to get you medical assistance to pay for medications until you get on your feet. I suffer with social anxiety and depression and didn't get help until I was in my early 40's. With some therapy (to help me understand this condition and learn how to cope) and medication, I live a much more normal life. I am praying for you. Best wishes.
Contact your local National Alliance for Mental Illness. See if they run any programs or know of any programs geared toward assisting people find jobs who have mental illness. In Alberta and other parts of Canada there are many programs just like this.





Also, ask your family doctor if he will supply you with free samples of medication until you are able to find work and get on a prescription plan. A lot of companies provide doctors with free samples and many doctors will give free samples to patients who are in your condition. There is actually a program that provides free medication for people with no income. You may not qualify depending on how much your boyfriend makes but it would be worth looking into.





You may also want to ask yourself at some point down the road if it is helping or hurting your illness to be with someone who doesn't understand/believe in it but that is a whole other issue. One thing at a time.
I agree with Bridget. File for Social Security Disability. You will need proof of disability and you have valid ones. You will need a doctors written diagnosis. Proof of your job history, although they know it already if you paid taxes. Sometimes they reject you at first but you can file an appeal and you will usually get benefits. If you get Social Security, you will also get Medicaid and Medicare.
Check if there are any women's centers in your area that offer help.


Also, social service agencies that provide free or low-cost counseling. Unfortunately it's going to require that you at least make some phone calls (Yes, where you don't know who you will be speaking to) or visits to new places. You're going to have to do it yourself since your guy doesn't support you. That is, unless you have a good friend willing to do all the legwork for you.





Try and write down what you are going to say during a phone call and practice saying it out loud to yourself prior to making the call. Practice being professional and concise. Have your list of questions for them in front of you while you are on the phone. Jot down the answers and that will help you remember everything even if you are nervous.





Most people at these agencies truely want to help people and may have even once been like you. So don't be afraid.





If you're a singer you should be used to strange people listening to you, even if you only did studio or backup work! Believe me, people are alot more critical of singers than of people who call them at their work for a work-related issue.
Where to begin with a nutcase like you?

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Job hunting with social anxiety isn't easy at all (especially the interviews).

    It helps if you take the focus off yourself by asking questions about the job and listening to the interviewer. Usually the interviewer has a lot to say about the job and if you can gewt them talking and listen, it helps you to forget about yourself (and the social anxiety).

    Here is a good article about Social Anxiety and Job Interviews.

    ReplyDelete