Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I am moving to Guam. I heard there are some deer there. How is the hunting? Can I take one with a crossbow?

Deer hunting in GuamI am moving to Guam. I heard there are some deer there. How is the hunting? Can I take one with a crossbow?
I don't remember any deer when I was there. Just wild (booney)dogs and (booney) pigs. And the snakes.


I heard you could hunt the pigs - I don't know about a crossbow, though.


It's funny, the power went out all the time (this was in the late 80s), and any time anything of that nature happened, it was blamed on the snakes. I thought it was a joke, and it took me 6 months to figure out it wasn't. Apparently the Brown Tree Snake came to the island many years ago on ships, ate all the birds, and thrives there. The power transformers aren't very well protected, so periodically a snake will get in there and short out half the island.


If you really want to have some fun, get into diving and snorkeling. There is a lot to see there under the water. My hubby and I went on a somewhat long hike one day down a small mountain through the jungle. The terrain flattened out and opened up and not too far beyond that there was a cave with some concrete steps leading up to it. Inside was a beautiful freshwater grotto - truly one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen. Don't miss it - sorry, I can't remember the name.


Have fun! Hafa adai!


Also, if you can't remember someone's name, you can pretty much cover it with Mr. or Ms. Leon, Guerrero, or Leon-Guerrero.


Oh, if you're an unmarried guy, prepare yourself. The native women are all after an American husband.


Don't pick up any women thumbing a ride on the non-military roads. No decent Chamorro women would be caught dead doing that, so it's probably a man.


The roads are all made of coral, so don't speed in a rainstorm. They're slick as snot. Especially if it hasn't rained in a few days. If it's dry nobody pays attention to the island-wide 35 mph speed limit. If it's wet, some people still don't pay attention, but there are fools everywhere.I am moving to Guam. I heard there are some deer there. How is the hunting? Can I take one with a crossbow?
I agree completely with Jill C. I was stationed on Guam for about a year and a half in 1952/53 (yeah, a l-o-n-g time ago!) and there were certainly no deer at that time, but lots of pigs and snakes. Snorkeling is the greatest!
only wooden club is allowed. no crossbow or shotgun.
How about you consider what beautiful creatures Deer are. Ask yourself how many Deer have wounded or murdered any members of your family. Consider that they are God's creatures put on Earth to live their lives in peace, without some sad individual ending their life for his own pointless, weird, purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment