Friday, May 14, 2010

What bullet grain should I use hunting elk in So CO with my Rem 300 Short Action Ultra Mag? Avg dist 1-300 yds

I'm using a 180 grain but to be honest the price difference from a 180 grain to a 165 grain box of shells is $30. If I could successfully use a 165 grain I would do it. What bullet grain should I use hunting elk in So CO with my Rem 300 Short Action Ultra Mag? Avg dist 1-300 yds
The answer is yes and no at the same time.


I have killed elk with a 30-06 in 165 grains. It truly depends on the bullet. I have shot Deer with 168gr, ballistic tips and not penetrated the entire body on a broadside shot.





What you need to buy is a bullet that will hold together in a big animal with tough hide like an elk. A bonded core is essential, or maybe a Barnes X.





The gun you bought is waaay more than you neen in the way of power. However if the bullet is constructed in such a manner as to give rapid explosive expansion, then it may not penitrate to the vitals well, if the shot is quartered away or towards regarless of its speed. What I suggest is that you get a bullet that will hold its integrity in a heavy animal, and I know its available in lighter than 180.





If you know that your shots are going to be 300 yards, then get a barnes x bullet in 150 to 165, and zero at 200. I would emagin(only because I do not have experience with a 300saum), that the lighter bullet will offer some flatter trajectory, and even allow for longer(350 yards), shots with the same drop of a 180 in the same caliber.





PS The difference in price of your two rounds is about what it costs for a box of hot high quality30-06 rounds. Makes a great argument for the versitility and economics of the ought 6.





Either way I wish you good luck.What bullet grain should I use hunting elk in So CO with my Rem 300 Short Action Ultra Mag? Avg dist 1-300 yds
If you are using a SAUM, you didn't buy it for the cheap shells, you bought it to shoot flat over a long distance. You are shopping at the wrong place if it costs $30 more for a box of Remington CLUB 180 gr shells over a box of Remington PSPCL 165gr shells. The difference should be less than $15 and is often only around $10 depending on where you shop.


The 180gr CLUB makes 3501 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle which is more than the lighter loads. If you are hunting Elk at 300 yards, just stick with the 180gr CLUB as that is what they are designed to do.
Actually, according to http://gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/, Federals 165 gr SP produces 2200 ft lbs of energy at 300 yards . . . and the Federal 180 gr SP only generates 2085 ft lbs of energy. Guess the decision is pretty obvious! HaHaHa . . . . Nope . . . there is a Winchester 180 gr SP listed in the same ballistics chart that produces 2439 ft lbs of energy at 300 yards; this is the most stopping power listed by those listed. Winchester also lists a 150 gr HP that produces 2285 ft lbs of energy at 300 yds. Personally, I鈥檇 go with a 180 gr triple shock if if 300 wsm were my weapon of choice, in many states you are required to use an expanding bullet, to ensure a clean kill. Although the bullet grain has a great deal to do with stopping power; what is more pertinent to me is sectional density and the ballistic coefficient, as they relate to accuracy and penetration. Check out my resources below if you wish.
Save your old brass from the range, burn a couple of boxes of the cheap ammo. Ask the other range users who might be reloading and have them load some 180 and some 220 grain rounds for you. That would probably be cheaper than factory rounds. Then use those at the range. Decide if the different loads are usable in your gun. For your hunt use the factory loads that seem right. I prefer a heavier round (220) for big animals, 180 is OK for deer, muleys, for elk a 220. Of course the Roosevelt are a larger size, 800+ dressed.
are you able to make the 300yard shot? That kind of shooting takes some range time and quite a few rounds expended.





I dont know how much you will invest in this hunt, rooms, gas , fees, guides,etc. I would hate to miss the shot of my life over a few bucks worth of ammo.





What bullet weight does your rifle shoot best at the distances your willing to take a shot at? Eithier weight will kill the elk...if it goes where you expect it to.





If I was shootin a expensive factory round I'd learn to reload for it. But what do I know....I tote a .30-06 that kills deer and elk for $18 a box...even cheaper if I roll my own with premium bullets.


Just my .02
I'd say 165's would be fine, I don't think the elk will notice the difference between a 150 gr. and 220 gr. bullet. I do highly recommend using the best bullet you can afford, Fail Safe's, Nosler Partition, Barnes X, but a good soft point would probably do the job just fine.
I think your comparing a premium bullet to a standard bullet for that difference in cost. If the rifle shoots well with the 180, I would stick with that.


You could look into reloading in the future or a slightly less expensive 180 grain bullet.
Yes a 165 premium bullet ( Nosler Partion, Barnes Triple Shock ) will work just fine if you put it in the Boiler Room, but I prefer a 180gr in my .300 Weatherby only because my rifle seems to like them better.
Find the one that patterns best out of your particular gun. Something in the 150 to 180 grain size would be recommended.
Short answer: 165 grain will do just fine. Go to the range and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment