Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I would like to buy a Rifle for hunting deer and target shooting. only have 500 max to spend any suggestions?

want to make sure the rifle can shoot a good distance and has stopping power but I would like to also save my shoulder when I target shoot so not something stupidly unneedy.I would like to buy a Rifle for hunting deer and target shooting. only have 500 max to spend any suggestions?
As you can see the opinions about rifles are quite varied. There are many factors that play into your decision. Where will you hunt? What is the terrain? What are the ranges that you might have to shoot? What are the legal requirements for minimum caliber for hunting in your state? (The .223 is illegal for deer in most states; West Virginia is one exception that I know off the top of my head.)





When I started shooting (about 25 years ago) I didn't know much about guns, ammunition, etc. But I started reading Guns and Ammo, Field and Stream, American Hunter, etc. -- Join the NRA -- After awhile I learned more and more about what was used where and how. It's all Greek at first; muzzle velocity, bullet grains, caliber vs. mm, rifling groove ratios, etc. Keep asking questions and don't be afraid to admit when you don't know something. We hunters often give advice assuming you know what in the hell we are talking about... our bad, not yours.





I hunt where the ranges can be pretty far off. So I prefer 7mm mag. The .243 is a good starting rifle and quite sufficient for whitetail deer. With only $500 you will probably need to buy a used weapon so that you can get a rifle, scope and enough ammo to zero the scope and spend a few hours at the range. As one answer above said, you need to be able to hit your deer and kill it on the first shot. It can make for a less than enjoyable experience otherwise. Practice.I would like to buy a Rifle for hunting deer and target shooting. only have 500 max to spend any suggestions?
What I am about to tell you is strictly a matter of preference. I have been hunting all kinds of game for over 58 years, got many deer also, A 7 mm mag, is too much gun for a lil deer and will aid in the recoil, any mag is too much, I got many with a 30,06 game master model 760m pump using a 180 to 180 core lock Remmington. Now last few years I cut down on some power, I now use a 243 caliber, less recoil and less meat destroyed, BUT make sure of your shot as usual, one shot for one kill, good luck Practice Practice Practice
25-06 or 308 are both outstanding target and deer calibers with a mild recoil.


Either caliber has plenty of stopping power for deer size game.


The 308 is noted as one of the most accurate 30 caliber ever used in competition.





As to rifle Ruger, Remington, Savage or Mossberg are very good quality weapons.


I would recommend you get a bolt action for accuracy.


Check out each weapon before buying and see which one you like the best.


I my self am a Ruger M77 Mark II fan.





D58
I saw Mossberg bolt action rifles at Academy stores for around $300 in .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .270 Winchester %26amp; .30-06 Springfield calibers earlier this year. At that price you can add the cost of a fair, variable power scope and have a good hunting/plinking rifle. Otherwise look for a good used Remington or Winchester in that price range.





NOTE: For deer hunting the .243 Winchester is generally considered the minimum caliber. Use quality, 100 grain hunting ammo if you select a .243 to deer hunt.





Good luck.





H
For under $500 I'd go for an SKS or one of the AK-47 clones AND a surplus military Mauser in 7MM (or .308 conversion if you can find one).
I like the Kel-tec SU-16 .223 A new one will set you back about $600.00 though. Great gun IMHO. Folds down nice as well. What size deer makes a difference also. In Canada I would use something larger. In California its a different story, they are way smaller.
I would have to say go with any 30 cal. It will have all the knockdown you need. I would go with a Savage accutrigger. The accutrigger makes it easier to make your trigger tension less. They make a very nice gun for a not so high price. Good luck.
Check your local gun shops for used rifles, 243win,


6mm, 260, 280 also called a 7-08, 308, 25-06, 270, 30-06. All would be good. New guns; Savage makes a few that are in your range, ruger and remmington may have a model in that range.





If I had it to do over, I would have bought a 260 rather than my 308, I reload so the price of ammo doesn't mean much to me, the 260 shoots flat and fast and due to the lower weight bullets has a lot less recoil than most 308s.


I have found the 135 grain barnes txs work great for my rifle giving lower recoil and a 3000 fps bullet, thats good for antelope and deer.
You'll want a bolt-action, I'd think, and chambered in something 6.5 or 7mm. That could be 6.5x55, 260 Rem, 7mm08 (which is NOT the same as 280), or 7x57, or perhaps 270 Win. If you hang around better shops instead of the big centers, you may find an old gem. I actually picked up a Winchester 70 in that price range, admittedly in the ridiculous 270 WSM chambering, though as a handloader that didn't bother me much, complete with Nikon glass, not too long ago. There are always lots of sporterized military firearms floating about, too. Take your time, be open-minded, and have fun shopping, and you'll likely find something that just clicks as the right choice for you.
Look for a good, used Remington, Ruger, Winchester, or Savage in .270. Nice, flat shooting rifle with mild recoil. Should have enough money left over for a inexpensive but decent scope, such as a Simmons or Bushnell.
I suggest a 30/30 or 30 odd 6. I love both guns people may tell you a 30/30 sucks but my mom dropped one at 250yards. the 30/30 does not kick near as bad also. and I recommend Remington all the way
  • eye makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment