Friday, May 14, 2010

What is the best deer hunting gun?

From a stand- a .270 for long distance knockdown power.


in the brush- a .35 Rem, its like a 30-30 only it shoots a larger 225 grain round.What is the best deer hunting gun?
The best deer hunting gun is one that you feel comfortable with and that you are profient with when it comes to hitting your target.





Like I have told my own son's that it isn't the rifle by itself that drops the deer it is where you place the shot.





Any hunter needs to know his firearm and be able to shoot it with confidence, knowing that he is going to hit is mark.





I myself perfer a 30-06 and the reason for this is it is good for most long range shots (depending on the bullet used) and also for taking about any game, not just deer. The 30-06 has a variety of ammo out there on the market and of course I reload with for mine.





The 30-06 can take just about all game from ground hogs to black bear and possibley elk and moose. You just have to know your firearm and be good at shooting it and placing your crosshairs on the most humane spot to dispatch the animal quickly.What is the best deer hunting gun?
You will get a different opinion and different cartridge or reason from each answer but most people are getting it right. You want a cartridge,bullet,rifle combination that you can proficiently shoot to humanely harvest the deer in the environment YOU hunt. Many people will use a lever action 30-30 or 45-70 because they like the traditional look and feel and their shooting is within the range of those weapons. Shotguns are a viable gun for deer under similar conditions, where the range is close and you can get good shot placement.


I'm out west were the ranges open up and the opportunities for game other than deer influence the selection of caliber and type of rifle. I have a 30-06 so I can hunt deer,elk, bear and antelope with the same weapon. I use a bolt action because it has the inherent properties I need for my hunting environment, ease of use and accuracy to 300+ yards. I could use a .243 for deer only, and then a .338 Ultra Mag for moose,elk and bear, but I don't see the need. Just my opinion, but the 223 just isn't enough weapon for humane deer hunting, not enough energy and bullet weight on target for my taste.I know some states allow it, but its not for me.


So, best deer hunting gun is something between 243 and 458 Winchester, possibly in a pistol with 44 Mag or 454 or 460. Might be the 16 or 12 gauge slug gun.


There are a broad selection of guns out there. You can spend $300, you can spend $3000, just find the gun that matches your abilities to shoot with the need to be an ethical hunter.
A lot of people use a 30 -30 which is ok. They have no long distance range. I just bought a Remington model 700BDL .270 caliber. This gun is so nice. It has a wide range of shells which will allow you to be accurate up to three hundred or more yards depending on skill. I also purchased a new Nikon Pro staff BDS scope which has a dot system setup to be effective at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. This gun is great. I would recommend a .270 or a 30 x 06 which is a nice rifle. There are many other great guns for deer hunting depends on the environment. Long range a 7mm mag or 300 winchester short mag. Short range under 150yards 30-30 or even a shotgun. Hope this helps. Below is the gun I use. Total cost just under 1000.00 with scope and mounts.
The one that's comfortable to carry for 8+ hours, will not kick the hell out of you when you fire it, accurate enough to get the job done at the distance needed %26amp; matched to you so you can use it instead of wounding the animals.





I would say Bolt action and that's as far as I can go not knowing what size deer your hunting or what distance you will be shooting. I don't know your body size or you history with


firearms so anything else I would say would be simple BS until I have that info.





Send me an email with your intentions and I can help futher.
If there were one answer to that question, there wouldn't be so many choices. Different circumstances call for different rifles and caliber choices, and the best that you can do is come up with a reasonable compromise for what you're likely to run into. Personally, I have maybe a dozen ';deer rifles,'; not to mention revolvers I also use on occasion, and the best one of the bunch tends to be the one I almost decided to take before I picked up the one I have with me!
Close range --- A lever gun chambered in 30/30.....





For longer range a bolt action rifle chambered in .270.....





In shotgun only counties either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500......





http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/C鈥?/a>





http://www.remington.com/products/firear鈥?/a>





http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_鈥?/a>





http://www.remington.com/products/firear鈥?/a>





Look over this Deer rifle article.........


http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_deer_鈥?/a>





http://www.chuckhawks.com/deer_rifle.htm





http://www.chuckhawks.com/favorite_deer_鈥?/a>





http://www.chuckhawks.com/ed_top_ten.htm
It depends on regulations where YOU live. Here in Ohio during gun week you can only use a shotgun or handgun.


I hunt with my 12 ga. 870 Express, scoped S%26amp;W 686 .357 with 8-3/8'; barrel, and T/C Contender with 10'; ported .357 barrel.


I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers to this depending on what's legal where different answerers live/hunt.


Unless somebody is using a rimfire round or gun and ammo combo that is illegal, there's really no wrong answers here. I'm sure there be be some thumbs down to some answers simply because people have different opinions.
That is an impossible question to accurately answer. You will only get opinions.





The best gun for YOU will be one that fits you well, and one you enjoy practicing with. If you learn to shoot well, then your personal choice will end up being the best deer hunting gun.......in your opinion.





My personal favorite is a Remington 700 BDL in .25-06 Remington. Very accurate, light recoil, and fun to shoot.
it depends on your purposes. personally 1st i'd go with one you can carry a long time w/o your arm falling off. 2nd i'd find one realsonabbly priced 3rd depending on the size of the person shooting, the level of kick


then i'd bring these questions to your local gunshop (i use dick's sporting goods and have been extremely pleased with the experience and options there)
most of the hunting magazines do a yearly rating of the best hunting rifles in recent history, the common consensus is a Lever action 30-30, or a Remington 700 in 30-06.
Depends on the geography in which you are hunting. I like a .243 or 25-06 for open long range shots, and 30-30 or 30-06 for mixed or woods hunting.
Mine. It's a Remington 788 carbine with 16.5'; barrel in .243.
Just my opinion as it gets results every time for me. Tikka T3 .308
30-30. thats what i use.
For where? Brush or open country?
270. win
I use a 9mm rifle, pretty effective, blasts a hole the size of a large mans fist into their chest.
m-16


JK call the gun shop

No comments:

Post a Comment