Friday, January 22, 2010

Im 18 and thinking of getting a m4a3 at academy i live in texas is it ok for deer hunting? thanks?

.223 is fine for hunting deer in Texas. Limit your shots to under 150 yards and put them right behind the front leg in the arm pit so to speak. If you cannot put the shot there pass it up. Use soft point bullets. It may run 50 or so yards with a bullet though its lungs and heart but its dead just the same. I got a .222 when I was 16 years old in Remington 600. I shot deer and more deer and never owned another rifle much of the time until I was 40. I shot 1 to 3 deer a year. I have also shot them in the head and in the neck but find these shots often do not make clean, quick kills and though the deer is down fast with a broken neck you must go finish it off (no different with a bigger round). A task I prefer not to do. I have also shot deer with 22-250, Remington 7mm Mag, 25-06, .243, shotgun, 30-06 and a compound bow. Given my druthers I would choose the 25-06 but .223 will do the job. Any center fire cartridge is legal for deer in Texas. You know all the deer I shot with that little .222 were just as dead as the ones I shot with the others. I did find the bow to be unsatisfactory because I never could put the arrow exactly where i wanted like I could with my .222 so I gave it up. Learn marksmanship. If you can put a bullet in a 2'; circle at 100 yards you can take any deer out a that distance without a problem. I also took several feral hogs with the same gun, all died from a bad cough and swiftly.





Watch the the thumbs downs roll in here my friend.Im 18 and thinking of getting a m4a3 at academy i live in texas is it ok for deer hunting? thanks?
the .223 or 5.56 is not reccomened for deer hunting.It does have not have very good knockdown power and it loses energy very quicklyIm 18 and thinking of getting a m4a3 at academy i live in texas is it ok for deer hunting? thanks?
the most originally gun to hunt deer with depending on where you live is a shotgun with some exceptions like if you live in montainous places a rifle or sniper rifle is a good gun to go with
Though legal in TX, it's a darned poor choice. You're a bit old to be playing ';army,'; so I'll refrain from suggesting a paintball gun as was my initial thought. If you want to hunt deer, get a gun made for the purpose and chambered for a caliber suitable for the purpose. Something between 250 Savage and 280 Remington would be a good caliber, though of course you can go bigger. And you'll find a bolt action, lever action, or even a single shot will be more suitable.
the .223 and/or 5.56 is not generally recommended as a good whitetail round, it just doesn't have enough power to reliably kill with a heart/lungs/liver vitals hit.





However, the one exception to this is Texas, where the whitetails tend to be much smaller than in Wisconson, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and some other places that can grow monsterous bucks.





The AR-15 is a fine platform to use for a hunting gun, but I don't think the features of the M4A3 are good for hunting.





I don't see a need for a collapsable stock on a hunting gun. While the stocks used by the AR-15 family are generally pretty sturdy, they never seem to be quite as sturdy as a true solid stock. Further, check wield if you are using a scope is lessened by this design.





Also, the 5.56 really looses velocity from shorter barrels. Now, the Bushy M4 barrel plus muzzle break isn't quite as short as a regular M4 (and nowhere near as short as the old Colt Commando) still, to me you are asking for trouble taking a marginal cartridge and hamstringing it with such a short barrel.





Stick to 20 inch barrels, and if you really want a collapsable stock go with the magpul UBR stock.
  • eye makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment