Friday, January 22, 2010

Has anyone been snipe hunting?

I was wondering where to find snipes and what kind of shotgun and permits I would need to hunt snipe. This isn't the old joke of snipe hunting. Where you take someone in the woods and leave them there wait for snipes. I am interested in hunting actual snipe. Any particular place I should look for them?Has anyone been snipe hunting?
Snipe are inhabitants of freshwater marshes and swamps, where they use their long bill to probe in the mud for insects. In my state (Nebraska) snipe may be taken with a regular hunting license (with habitat stamp). The cover you find them in is usually pretty thick and sometimes tall as well, so a light, quick pointing gun is best. Also, hunting in marshes and swamps requires tall rubber boots to keep feet dry. A patient, close-working dog helps, especially in locating downed birds. Hope this helps. Good luck and good hunting.Has anyone been snipe hunting?
Sorry the person who you selected the best answer from is incorrect. Snipe is a bird known as a woodcock and Inhabit the NEw England States and Penn and Ohio. A bolt action rifle is required and a standard hunting license I believe however.....I think they are on the endangered speices list.

Report Abuse



use a bolt action rifle, not sure where to find them, but look at dawn and dusk

No comments:

Post a Comment