Sunday, January 24, 2010

Is it common hunting practice to take down a boar with only a spear? And without using dogs to tire it.?

Tired of hunting boar with my recurve, I'm looking into hunting one down just with a set of throwing boar spears.Is it common hunting practice to take down a boar with only a spear? And without using dogs to tire it.?
after you have become so profitiant with the spear that you can hit a 6 inch circle with minimum penatration at 25 yards yes you can. I seen it done in texas on the king ranch at four arrows. the guide carries a rifle in case you screw up but you will still be charged trophy fees etc if they have to kill it for you. he was in your same boat he used recurves he made himself he was very wealthy and had lots of time on his hands. he practiced 4 hours a day and he would let you mark an X on his target he could actually touch somewhere on the X with a part of the spear 4 out of 5 times. I asked if he would step back to 30 yards and he said that would be unethical for the boar. I got his point.Is it common hunting practice to take down a boar with only a spear? And without using dogs to tire it.?
I have seen the crazy unethical hunter on the Versus channel kill a boar with a knife. As hunters, we have the responsibility to hunt and kill humanely. This means using the proper broadhead or caliber when hunting.





This is an inhumane and even dangerous way to hunt. It might not even be legal in your state. Don't risk your life and give us all bad names. Use the proper gun or bow and obey your local and state hunting laws.
Well the English use to do what the Called Pig Sticking, what they would do is run it down with a horse and use the spear to stab it while still on the horse.





There is yet another technique employed some where around Spain where the wild boar are put to bay by dogs and when the hunter get there he pulls his knife and jumps on the wild boar and try鈥檚 to stab it to death, before it gets him.





But I鈥檓 too old and smart for either of these sports.


I鈥檒l stick with my pistol, rifle, muzzleloader or bow.





That my opinion.





D58
While I'm sure our ancestors fed themselves in this way, with the availablity of more humane methods of the kill this is somewhat barbaric.
Ok Tarzan,


I have hunted dangerous game in Africa, Mexico and Canada. I am a human being and as such I use tools that better my chances of not being mauled or killed. I understand your need to feel MACHO, but hunting a boar that can easily turn around and run by you leaving a 5 inch or bigger gash that'll surely get infected is not my idea of fun. Still, some hunters do it. If you really want to, I'll provide the ranch. You would first have to waive your rights to sue me if you loose your leg or worse while taking this challenge on.

No comments:

Post a Comment