Friday, January 22, 2010

Which ammo for pheasant hunting?

I will be going to Kansas for a pheasant hunting trip. I have never been before. I know #5 shot is the right shot size but what length shell do I need, 2 3/4'; or 3'; ? I will be using a 12ga. Also, any specific brand of shell recommended?Which ammo for pheasant hunting?
I grew up in Iowa, where the men are men and and the pheasants are not afraid of them. With a 12, we always used nothing fancy 2 3/4 #4 - #6 shot with good effect. I have never seen the need to beat myself up with 3'; 12ga. shells.


Good Luck.Which ammo for pheasant hunting?
i would go with 3'' 5 shot lead. butt u might be on state groung so u will need to shoot steel shot.





why would u go to kansas south dakota is better. when u slam your truck door they will go fly out i got my limmit in 20 min.
2 3/4 is enough %26amp; #6 or 7 1/2 shot works best for me.* Winchester or Remington ammo.*
Use what is best for you. 2 3/4 shells will do for most people.
I always used double AAs 2-3/4 and reloaded myself with green dot at zero wad presure works every time
lose the 3';. Its a waste of money. 2 3/4'; 5 or 6 shot will work just fine. I would recommend a modified shoke as well.


Plus, if you have never been pheasant hunting before, it can get a little hairy, so be very aware of your surroundings. People get shot all the time by over anxious hunters who want the bird ';more'; than everyone else.
I would take several boxes of 2 3/4'; #6 shot. It will do the job nicely. Don't go cheap with the brand name... I stick to Federal or Winchester. A word to the wise, check the regulations where you are going hunting before you buy anything. Some places require the use of steel / non-toxic shot now. If that's the case I would use 2 3/4'; #4 steel.
Winchester 3 in. 5 shot.
Depends on your preference.


I have used both 12ga and 16ga., 2-3/4 (Don't own a 3';, don't need one.), with 4, 5, or 6 depending on range.


Since I reload my own, can't recommend brands!





In SOME areas you may be required to use steel shot, rather than lead now. Check the local regulations.
I go every year so take this as an answer from an experienced hunter.


I used to shoot high velocity (high brass) #6 shot but in recent years have dropped down to ';heavy dove'; remington #6 shot , 12 GA, 2 3/4.


Don't waste your money on the heavier stuff. Saved money can be used to practice with cheap field loads on clays. The heaviest load out there will not do you any good if you can't hit what your are shooting at.
#5 or #6 shot, 2 3/4'; HIGH BRASS shotshells should be perfect for your application. I always like Remington shells, but my buddy swears by Winchester for all of his shotgun loads (upland birds, small game, turkey, deer slugs, etc.) As long as your load is as described above, the brand shouldn't really matter.





I've never hunted pheasant in KS, but if it's going to be a particularly cold winter ( I don't think it will be), you might even consider moving up to #4 shot, but I doubt you'll need to do that this year.





Good luck, hope you fill your limit.
I grew up in Kansas and hunded pheasant many times. Use number 6 shot and Federal or Remington Duck and Pheasant loads. 2 3/4 inch was all I ever needed. They never failed.
I have always used a 12 Ga. # 6 - 2 3/4'; for pheasant and rabbit. No problem with that load .





for a 20 Ga. # 6 - 2 3/4';


I used a 410 with 3'; # 4 shot for 2 years on them. Like I say no problem.
I would recommend 7 or 8 shot. With the smaller shot, you get more bb's in the pattern and have a better chance of hitting the pheasant. 2 3/4'; or 3'; does not really matter. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment